Are you suffering from acute or chronic pain in muscles or tendon insertions or in your shoulder or heel area, and this pain significantly impairs your natural mobility and your quality of life?
Spinal and Sports Care proudly boasts that it is one of a handful of sports orientated private practices in Sydney to own and operate a musculoskeletal shock wave therapy device.
Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) is a modern and highly effective treatment method: high-energy sound waves are introduced into the painful areas of the body. With this innovative therapy approach, pathological alterations of tendons, ligaments, capsules, muscles and bones can be eliminated systematically.
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy can be used to treat a wide variety of musculoskeletal conditions–particularly those involving where major connective tissues attach to bone.
Complaints involving attachment points for tendons and ligaments in major joints of the upper and lower limbs are common sites for ESWT. This is our specialty. Some conditions that have been successfully treated with ESWT include:
- Shoulder pain, e.g. shoulder calcifications and tendinosis / tendinopathies
- Tennis (lateral epicondylitis) or golfer’s elbow (medial epicondylitis)
- Patellar tendinitis (Jumper’s knee)
- Shin pain/Tibial stress syndrome
- Achilles tendon pain (tendinosis / tendinopathies)
- Heel pain/Heel Spur/Plantar Fascitis
- Chronic neck, shoulder and back pain
- Muscle tension caused by painful muscular nodules (trigger points)
- Hip joint pressure pain (greater trochanter pain)
And as ESWT encourages bone healing, it has been used to help treat:
- Stress Fractures
- Avascular Necrosis (A dead portion of bone)
- Slow-healing bone (Delayed unions)
- Non-healing bone (Non-unions)
Extracorporeal shock wave therapy has an increasing amount of research to support its effectiveness, and is rapidly becoming the treatment of choice for tendinopathies / tendinosis’.
Recently, research has shown that an eccentric exercise program in combination with ESWT has superior results that any other therapy or exercise in isolation.
When performed by qualified therapists, it has virtually no risks or side effects, and is an extremely useful device utilised by our Practitioners at Spinal and Sports Care.