A fracture is a break or incomplete break in a bone as the result of the application of excessive force whereas a dislocation is the complete separation of two bones within a joint. In the hand/wrist common fractures are:
- Scaphoid Fracture – The bone at the base of the thumb.
- Phalanx Fracture – the finger bones.
- Boxer’s Fracture – A break of the 1st or 2nd knuckle.
- Bar room Fracture – A break of the 3rd or 4th knuckle.
- Phalanx Dislocation
Signs and Symptoms:
- Pain at the injured site.
- Deformity at the injury.
- Potential open wound.
- Decreased range of motion or painful movement.
- Exquisite tenderness over the injury.