The 3rd most common cause of pain behind Low back and neck pain. Occurs most commonly with overuse especially with arms in the overhead position or poor shoulder biomechanics. Can also be due to a direct trauma – eg. a fall onto an outstretched hand.
- Sudden/gradual onset of pain with overhead activities.
- A sharp, dull, catching burning or throbbing pain sometimes referring down the arm.
- Pain relieved by rest and generally with arm movements with the shoulder below 90 degrees.
- Often several previous episodes.
- Pain at night and unable to lie on involved side at night in bed.